You can be #forSalem
Ways you can be for your neighbors wherever you are!
Pay it Backward
- Pay for the car behind you in a drive-thru.
- Leave an encouragement card with the attendant to pass on.
- Wave or honk as you drive off; we even have #forSalem car-decals for your back window.
Be a Good Neighbor
- Start with learning their names… drawing and labeling a neighborhood map helps.
- Do the things you’d do in your backyard or inside in the front yard instead. Be available and present.
- Host a block party or neighborhood clean-up.
- Organize a street-directory, complete with email addresses, names of pets and kids.
- Make a new neighbor welcome packet!
Enjoy Local Eateries
- Ask or use your server’s name when they first take your order, then use their name throughout the meal.
- If you’re a praying person, ask if they have needs you can pray for when you get your meal.
- Leave an extra-generous tip when you’re done.
- Let them know you’re #forSalem and that they matter by leaving an encouragement card on the table!
- Help another person take back their grocery cart.
- Let someone go ahead of you in line or pay for someone’s small items.
- Leave an encouragement card in their shopping bag or cart.
- Hide a few bucks and an encouragement card in some merchandise. Involve your kids if you have ’em and make it a game.
Your Local School
- Fill out a background check with the school district and start volunteering at your neighborhood school. Ask the school office what needs they have… read with kids, help teachers with classroom tasks, monitor a lunchroom?
- Wear your #forSalem tshirt when you volunteer.
- Pick up trash as you walk around the playground after hours.
- Leave a tray of cookies and an encouragement card at the front desk for the staff to enjoy.
- Put a five dollar bill and a “snacks are on me!” note in your Redbox DVD return.
- If you don’t want to do cash, add a small gift card in the DVD case.
- Use the #forSalem encouragement card and maybe include 2 and they’ll pass one along!
Plugging In To What’s Happening
Local Salem Resources
Get Involved in what’s already going on around you – here are some local links! A great way to be #forSalem!
Want to find out more? Have ideas for us to add? Want to represent with some #forSalem swag? Send us a note!
Following #forSalem & #forKeizer
Explore the Social Media tags and be sure to spread the love by tagging your own stories!